What Causes Sudden Acne in Adults?
Adult acne is defined as acne that appears after the age of 25. In general, the same factors from puberty cause the acne. The factors that cause acne are excess oil production, bacteria, clogged pores (by skin cells) and inflammation. Some indirect factors include hormones, stress and the menstrual cycle. In some cases, medications, like anabolic steroids, lithium or corticosteroids, can also cause acne.
Furthermore, according to a 2018 study, research demonstrated that the frequency of adults with acne is increasing. Moreover, it is shown to affect women more often than men.¹
Unfortunately, adult acne is something very common for most people but is not heavily discussed in the media. However, there are ways to understand the causes, remedies and skincare that can help reduce and treat your adult acne.
How Do You Fix Adult Acne?
Furthermore, it is important to note that when treating adult acne, a targeted skincare routine is key for killing bacteria and reducing oily skin. Skincare products that contain ingredients like glycolic acid, retinol, azelaic acid, niacinamide, salicylic acid, and vitamin C are the ones to look for when treating inflammation and adult acne.
Fortunately, there are many adult acne home remedies and treatments to try before opting for prescription medication. However, in severe or long-lasting cases of acne, it is recommended to see a dermatologist.
Supplements for Acne – A Healthy Way to Treat Acne Fast
Skin supplements are a fast and effective way to treat adult acne. Including a skin supplement in your skincare regime is a beneficial way to tackle problematic skin from the inside. Often, acne can be made worse if you are deficient in certain nutrients. Supplementation is effective because it not only improves your skin, but your health too. Furthermore, it can regulate hormonal imbalance, which is linked to acne.
Skin Clear Elixir is a 100% natural, vegan supplement specifically formulated for problematic skin. Formulated with evidence-based botanicals, it targets hormonal imbalance and effectively clears skin. This is a great supplement for anyone experiencing hormonal acne. This could include women who have recently come off birth control, or anyone with a hormonal imbalance.
Another successful acne supplement is Osmosis Skin Defense. This powerhouse supplement addresses many of the factors which contribute to the formation of acne. Featuring an innovative combination of detoxifying ingredients, Osmosis Skin Defense works to excrete heavy metals, pesticides, and excess hormones from the body. It is a great option for anyone struggling with acne.
The Best Facial Cleanser for Adult Acne
Other than skin supplements, including a gentle facial cleanser in your skincare regime is key in acne treatment. This is because it helps to remove excess oils and dirt from the skin without stripping essential moisture. One of the best facial cleansers for adult acne is the MZ Skin Cleanse and Clarify. This dual-action facial cleanser and mask is a popular product for clearing congested skin. It deeply cleanses pores and removes dirt, oils and makeup without causing irritation or drying. Additionally, it includes a blend of alpha hydroxy acids and fruit enzymes to remove dead cells from the skin’s surface.
How to Clear Acne Naturally
Skincare products, skin supplements and other treatments will help reduce and clear adult acne. However, it is important to note that some quick lifestyle changes will help maximise the benefits.
These quick lifestyle changes will help clear acne faster:
- Wash your face twice daily with a gentle cleanser. Ensure to rinse with lukewarm water and pat dry. Scrubbing or aggressive drying can worsen acne.
- Increase your water intake! Drinking water flushes out toxins and hydrates the skin.
- Avoid touching your face. Every time you do so, bacteria can get into your pores. If you do have to touch it, make sure to wash your hands first.
- Try to use makeup and other products that are non-comedogenic. This means they won’t clog the pores as much.
- Use gentle products that will not cause irritation. This includes avoiding harsh exfoliants.
- For men, use a razor that is gentle on your skin and apply a gentle shaving lotion or soap to avoid friction.
- Do not pop your spots! This introduces dirt from your fingers into your pores, which can lead to infections.
Remember, clear skin is a journey, and treating acne can take time. However, it is possible! It is important to be patient and trust the process. Here’s to feeling confident in our skin.
Authors: Julie Heinisch & Georgie Falcone
- Skroza N., Tolino E., Mambrin A., Zuber S., Balduzzi V., Marchesiello A., Bernardini N., Proietti I., & Potenza, C. Adult Acne Versus Adolescent Acne: A Retrospective Study of 1,167 Patients. [Internet]. The Journal of clinical and aesthetic dermatology. 2018. Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/labs/pmc/articles/PMC5788264/